Resources – Community assistance
Here is a variety of online sources for planning and land use information, training, events, publications, funding and other community assistance, particularly for New York State and the Hudson Valley. We are actively archiving resources from our Land Use Workshops and have planning links that include comprehensive plans, zoning, and codes for towns throughout the county. We’ve also included recommended links for organizations that provide useful information for community development and planning.
- American Farmland Trust
Information on food, farming, farmland protection and related policy issues. Fact sheets include Planning for Agriculture, Cost of Community Services Studies.
- Center for Watershed Protection
Information on watershed approach to planning. Downloadable resources on stormwater management and low impact development.
- Dutchess County Planning and Development
Planning resources including model subdivision regulations, the ‘Centers and Greenspaces’ guide to regional smart growth planning, and the ‘Plan on It’ newsletter series.
- eCode360° Municipal Codes
Source of municipal codes online, indexed and searchable.
- Empire State Future
Information and press links to information on smart growth issues in New York State.
- Farmland Information Center
Extensive, well-indexed national clearinghouse for information about farming and farmland protection, co-sponsored by USDA NRCS and American Farmland Trust.
- Farmscape Ecology Program
County-based research and education program devoted to the interaction of agriculture and the natural environment. Online research and newsletter, activities and events.
- Hudson River Valley Greenway
A clearinghouse of resources on many planning related topics, from agriculture to zoning, and funding sources.
Research, education, training resources in support of planning for biodiversity.
- National Park Service Rivers, Trails and Conservation Assistance Program
News on community-led conservation and recreation projects with helpful tools and weblinks, and information on applying for technical assistance.
- Information and resources for communities and land use decision-makers focused on the relationship of land use to water quality. Website based at the University of Connecticut, part of a national NEMO network.
- New York Planning Federation
Statewide membership organization that promotes sound planning practices through education programs and web resources like model ordinances. Co-sponsor of the New York Municipal Insurance Reciprocal Land Use Training Program for Local Government Officials, an online certification program through Pace Land Use Law Center.
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Mapping Gateway
Mapping resource for accessing NYSDEC environmental resources data online without GIS capability.
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Hudson River Estuary Program
Technical information on Hudson Valley habitats, water resources, and funding sources for municipalities.
- New York State Department of State, Division of Local Government Services
Sources for municipal board trainings and other links of interest to local governments including smart growth, funding programs, helpful publications (e.g. “Conducting Public Meetings and Hearings”).
- New York State Department of Transportation, Smart Planning
Resources related to land use and transportation from the perspective of smart growth, including funding opportunities, and tools such as “A Checklist for Proposed Development Projects in Your Community.”
- Northern Dutchess Alliance
Alliance of Northern Dutchess County towns to cooperate on regional planning issues. Periodic workshops on planning topics.
- Northwestern Connecticut Regional Planning Collaborative
Land use planning resources with helpful links on topics such as affordable housing, farmland preservation, ridgeline protection, wind energy case studies, that can apply outside the region.
- Orton Family Foundation – Planning resources and a selective process to assist and engage communities.
- Parks & Trails New York
Resources for development of new parks and trails including technical information, publications and grant programs.
- Planners Web
Searchable web journal on planning and land use.
- Rockland County Comprehensive Plan
Rockland County has undertaken a comprehensive plan effort to guide county government planning as well as town and village planning for the next 10 to 20 years. It is intended to “build on and be consistent with existing town and village plans”. The Draft Plan is now available for review. You may find it interesting to see what a county level plan can address. Many issues that our towns grapple with in comprehensive plans require broader attention on a regional or county level.
- Smart Growth Online
Online newsletter, organized by state, with links to related resources.
- Tompkins County, NY Vital Communities Toolbox
Brief, clearly written descriptions of planning tools indexed by planning objective.
- USDA Web Soil Survey
Easy-to-use mappable soils data without needing GIS capability.
COLUMBIA COUNTY LINKS
Columbia County Municipalities – Codes & Planning Links
- Town Laws
- Adopted Comprehensive Plan and Zoning Revisions
- Conservation Advisory Council
- Agriculture & Farmland Protection
Regional Land Use and Planning Documents
- Hudson River Estuary Program – NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
- Conserving Natural Areas and Wildlife in Your Community – NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
- New York Agricultural Landowner Guide – American Farmland Trust
- Planning for Agriculture: A Toolkit for Towns and Counties
- New York State Open Space Conservation Plan
- 2010 Statewide Trails Plan