There is no perfect answer to creating the right farmland arrangement, but below are some resources to help guide the process. CLC staff are also available to answer any questions you might have.
What Terms Should Be Included in a Lease?
- Farm Rental Agreement Checklist (Ohio State University Extension)
- Elements of Good Farm Lease (AFT, Grow NYC, Land for Good, USDA Risk Management Agency)
- CLC’s Sample Lease Page
- Legal (Excerpt from Down to Earth Lease Workshop)
- Lease Your Land (Farmland Information Center)
- Inspirations for Creating a Long-Term Agricultural Lease for Agroforestry (Farm Commons)
Are There Other Models Besides Basic Leases?
- Shared Equity Arrangements (Joan Snyder)
- Cooperative Farming: Frameworks for Farming Together (A Greenhorn’s Guidebook, by Faith Gilbert)
What is a Fair Rental Amount?
- USDA County-level Cash Rent Data
- Fair Rent (University of Minnesota, Center for Farm Financial Management)
- UVM Rental Guide
Where Else Can I Find Information About Farmland Tenure?
- Farmland Tenure and Leasing (Annette Higby)
- Managing Landlord Tenant Relationships (Ohio State University Extension)
- Landowner Tool Box (Land for Good)
- Toolbox for Farmers (Land for Good)
- Land For Good’s Online Course