Graphs from American Farmland Trust
NY State Farmland Protection Program
Funding for this program is in jeopardy. Help us help local farms and take action.
Through the New York State Farmland Protection Program, CLC has helped to secure more than $6 million in state and private funding on behalf of towns and local farmers, ensuring the protection of approximately 5,280 acres of working farmland through the placement of conservation easements on these lands. While protecting farmland soils and other important resources, the easements allow for home occupations and rural enterprises. In addition, these easements offer the flexibility current and future farmers may need to modify and diversify their operations as agriculture practices and trends change.
With the State Farmland Protection Program, the state will match up to 87.5% of the total project cost; the remaining 12.5% local match requirement can be accomplished by a variety of techniques such as a bargain sale – the landowner could sell his/her development rights at less than the appraised value and take the donated value as a tax deduction against the payment for his/her development rights. Similarly, a neighboring farm owner could donate his/her non-agricultural development rights as the local match.
CLC has successfully written numerous grants on behalf of local farmers and towns (including Ancram, Kinderhook, New Lebanon and Stuyvesant) to protect the county’s working landscape. These projects often involve partnering with other conservation organizations, such as the Open Space Institute or Scenic Hudson Land Trust, or generous neighboring landowners to provide the local match requirements.
If you would like to take part in this program contact contact Marissa Codey at 518.392.5252 ext. 211 or email email@example.com.