We recommend the following resources for communities in the Hudson Valley about land use and planning, trainings, and publications.
Information Resources for Municipalities
CLC assists those serving in local government in accessing information about natural resources, through its online clearinghouse of resources, by developing new resources, and offering training.
As a special initiative, CLC coordinated the development of a county-wide inventory of natural resources (Natural Resources Inventory, or “NRI”). CLC convened an advisory group of members of Columbia County Environmental Management Council, Cornell Cooperative Extension of Columbia and Greene Counties, and other volunteers to guide the project. The NRI was written by Hudsonia Ltd, with significant contributions from the Hawthorne Valley Farmscape Ecology Program. Individuals and groups contributed photos of local landscapes and resources to illustrate the document. This NRI summarizes existing data and analyzes the physical, biological, and cultural aspects of the Columbia County landscape. It identifies features and areas that warrant attention in land use decision-making. Residents, landowners, and the public agencies involved in land-use planning and environmental reviews will find it a helpful reference.
The NRI has been funded in part by a grant from the New York State Environmental Protection Fund through the Hudson River Estuary Program of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.
Interactive Online Hudson Valley Natural Resource Mapper – zoom in on your community or any are you’re curious about and view maps of natural resources like water, forests, wetlands, wildlife, and more. The mapper was created by the Cornell College of Agriculture and Life Sciences for the Hudson River Estuary Program.
- Dutchess County Planning and Development – Centers and Greenspaces Guide
- Hudson River Valley Greenway
- Hudson Estuary Watershed Resiliency Project
- New York Planning Federation
- New York State Department of State, Division of Local Government Services
- Orton Family Foundation Heart and Soul Program for Communities
- Recommended Resources about Flood Resilience for Communities
- Tompkins County, NY Vital Communities Toolbox
Habitat & Natural Areas
- Hawthorne Valley Farmscape Ecology Program
- New York Natural Heritage Program
- Hudson River Estuary Program – Habitat and Biodiversity Program
- Hudson River Estuary Program – Watersheds and Protecting Water Resources
- American Farmland Trust, Farmland Information Center
- Columbia County’s Agriculture and Farmland Protection Plan
- New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, Farmland Protection Program
- Hudson River Valley Greenway
- National Park Service Rivers, Trails and Conservation Assistance Program
- Parks & Trails New York
- 2010 Statewide Trails Plan
- New York State Parks Office of Parks, Recreation, & Historic Preservation
- Trail Maintenance and Management (American Trails)
- Greater Stockport Creek Watershed Alliance
- Lower Hudson Coalition of Conservation Districts
- New York Rural Water Association
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Hudson River Estuary Program*
- NYS Water Resources Institute Culvert Assessment Project
Technical Assistance in Columbia County
- Cornell Cooperative Extension of Columbia-Greene Counties, Natural Resources Section
- Columbia County Soil & Water Conservation District
- Columbia County Environmental Management Council