Upon purchasing the farm, CLC protected it from development with a conservation easement and signed a 99-year ground lease with the farmers so they could continue farming the land they love. The ground lease is an innovative tool that allows Don and Marnie to retain and build equity in their business, which they can sell to the next farmers of the land, along with other on farm infrastructure like fencing, barns, and equipment.
This ground lease:
- Protects a farm that serves as a model for successfully balancing productive agriculture with protection of the environment;
- Provides long-term security and continued ownership of farm infrastructure by the farmers and encourages expansion of their farm business;
- Allows for the successful transition of the farm to a new generation of farmers;
- Provides access for a future trail, educational programs, and events to the public;
- Makes use of an innovative approach to farmland preservation that ensures the land will remain in agriculture forever and could serve as a model for future farmland conservation projects; and
- Ensures that the community can continue to enjoy delicious, freshly picked fruits and vegetables for years to come.