Typically Kids to Parks Day, the third Saturday in May, this year due to social distancing more and more organizations are celebrating Parks to Kids Day, May 16, and sharing virtual ways to connect with the outdoors! Kids to Parks Day, organized by the National Park Trust, goal is to foster future outdoor enthusiasts and encourage this next generation of conservation and park stewards in memorable outdoor activities.
Columbia Land Conservancy want to share different ways to celebrate this fantastic day with your children in our local community. Here are six fun ways to celebrate Parks to Kids Day with your family!
1. Explore any of our Public Conservation Areas! There are 10 across Columbia County. All with their own special features!
2. Create a Pollinator Hotel for bees! This craft is easy and creates a home for our buzzing pollinator friends.
3. Search for new plant species and identify them using the iNaturalist App. Although you may be the one using the phone, it’s fun for children to try to find plants that have bright colors or big leaves.
5. Make art from recycled materials! Check out these wind chimes made from sticks, shells, clothes pins, and other household items.
6. Take a guided hike of any of our Public Conservation Areas using the Vizzit App! This one is great for the whole family to learn something new about these natural areas and Columbia County history.