About Our Sites

We’ve got ten wonderful places for you to visit for free, dawn to dusk.

Enjoy Your Day, Respect the Setting
Please follow these rules in order to ensure you and others can have a safe, enjoyable time while visiting these sites. 

  • Sites are open between dawn and dusk.
  • Camping is prohibited and objects left overnight may be removed.
  • Swimming, alcohol, and open fires are prohibited.
  • Please keep dogs leashed to protect sensitive habitats and wildlife, and be courteous of other visitors. Be a good citizen and pick up after your dog.
  • Practive Leave No Trace ethics; take all trash with you, park only in the lots, and hike only on the trails.
  • Permits are required for fishing and are available at the CLC office located at 49 Main Street, Chatham on weekdays between 9:00 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. Fishing is permitted at the following sites: Hand Hollow, High Falls, Ooms, Schor, and Siegel-Kline Kill. To obtain a CLC Fishing Permit you must also have your NYS Freshwater Fishing Permit. 
  • Contact CLC at 518.392.5252 if you would like to hunt, fly a drone, or make use of the site for a large group outing of twelve or more, special event, wedding, or for commercial purposes, such as photographic or video shoots.
  • Guided smartphone tours of most Public Conservation Areas are available through Vizzit, a free app that works on Apple and Android phones. We recommend downloading the app and the tours you’re interested in before you hit the trail, as many of the sites have limited reception, which may interfere with the app’s functionality.

Love it Here? Help Protect this Special Place!

  • Volunteer to help with trail maintenance, events, and office tasks.
  • Make a donation! Most of CLC’s budget comes from grants and gifts from people like you.
  • Collect important scientific data using the iNaturalist, iMapInvasives, or eBird apps on your smart phone.

Share your adventure by tagging us on Instagram @clctrust or by posting your pictures to our Facebook pages!

Maintenance at our Public Conservation Areas has been supported by the Hudson River Bank & Trust Foundation, Ellsworth Kelly and the Jack Shear Foundation, the Land Trust Alliance, the Quailwood Fund of the Berkshire Taconic Community Foundation, the Hudson River Estuary Program, the Hudson River Greenway, the Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation, and the Wellspring Foundation. We use counters to gather data about trail use.  This helps us to better understand and manage our trails, and is very important when applying for grants and other funding.  To learn more about the TRAFx trail counters we use, please click here.

Columbia Land Conservancy
49 Main Street
Chatham, NY 12037


Our office is open 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.,
Monday - Friday.


Public Conservation Areas are open dawn to dusk every day.
Visit our calendar of events to find out what’s happening next.